WP Engine (or WPE) is a fantastic (but pricey) choice for managed WordPress hosting. After a recent price spike, their plans now start at $30 per month. Not everyone can afford to pay that for a hosting service, thus leading them to explore WP Engine alternatives.
If you are in the initial research phase and have not had the chance to use WP Engine yet, I strongly recommend that you try them first (and use coupon code wpe3free for 10% off your bill).
Why You Need WP Engine Alternatives?
It should be crystal clear that WP Engine is a reputable hosting provider for WordPress. It happens to be one of the best alternatives to shared hosting.
Unfortunately, WP Engine has a fair share of problems that results in customers looking for alternatives to WP Engine.
Here are the most common problems with WPE:
- Hosting packages become expensive as you upgrade. The plans start at $30 per month and go to $115, $290, $400, $600, and $900 respectively as you upgrade.
- The $30 per month plan hosts a single WordPress website.
- Certain WordPress plugins and themes are banned by WP Engine (this is clearly posted on their site).
- Some support requests are not answered on time.
- WP Engine bills customers for “traffic spikes” that they do not see in their Google Analytics accounts.
WP Engine Alternative #1 – Fly Wheel
I love Fly Wheel because they are much friendlier to smaller budgets. They make it affordable for anyone to sign up for managed hosting for WordPress. And the best part is that a standard WordPress website loads under one second, which is impressive.
Some particularly sweet features include staging sites, collaboration, billing transfers, and automatic updates for WordPress and plugins.
Fly Wheel’s pricing is unique with single site plans starting at $15 per month and 30 sites for $290 per month.
The benefits of switching to Fly Wheel:
- Endorsed and recommended by WordPress.org.
- The option to pay your hosting bill with a PayPal account.
- Install and use any WordPress theme and plugin.
- All plans offer dedicated IP addresses.
- Free unlimited website transfers.
- Free access to Genesis Framework (WP Engine owns Genesis Framework and offers this too).
Who uses Fly Wheel?
Fly Wheel hosts small WordPress sites to Fortune 500 companies. Streamlined Studio, Social Assurance, and Hive Digital are only a few of the sites that use Fly Wheel.
|Fly Wheel Coupon: 2 months free with purchase (no coupon code needed).|
WP Engine Alternative #2: Pressable
Pressable is reliable managed hosting service that advertises itself as a web host that is “rated #1 in customer satisfaction.” Their partnership with Google PageSpeed is able to deliver blazing site speed, which has brought them an appealing list of clients and rave testimonials.
All plans include Content Delivery Network (CDN) at no extra cost, free SSL Certificates by Let’s Encrypt, collaborator access, and managed upgrades.
Plans start from $25 a month for a single site, and scale up to $155 a month for 20 sites.
The benefits of switching to Pressable:
- Content Delivery Network (CDN) is free for all plans.
- The option to use the collaborator tool, which is a neat little feature for those that will be hiring a developer.
- The premium version of JetPack is included for free.
- Pressable makes it feasible to upgrade to a large plan without scarifying your budget.
- Free website migrations.
Who uses Pressable?
Anyone that has a WordPress site can use Pressable to improve the performance of their WordPress site and enhance the management of multiple sites. Various startups and Fortune 1,000 companies, such as Whirlpool, Estee Lauder, and The American Genius, rely on Pressable for their hosting needs.
|Pressable Coupon: Save $50 to $310 with annual plans (no coupon code needed).|
WP Engine Alternative #3: Pressidium
Pressidium is our last WP Engine alternative that you may consider trying. The company is still fairly new, but it has quickly built a reputation because of their great service and exceptional hosting performance. The web host uses a custom Pinnacle Platform that provides you with enterprise-level architecture with every hosting plan.
Plans start from $21.90 per month for a single site and 10,000 monthly visits. The plans scale up to $599.90 per month for 50 sites and one million monthly visits.
The benefits of switching to Pressidium:
- Free website migrations.
- The hosting architecture is built around the Pinnacle Platform, which is used by Google and Facebook.
- Content Delivery Network (CDN) is included at no extra cost.
- Advanced security features including bad-bot filtering, firewall, and malware monitoring and removal.
Who uses Pressidium?
Thousands of media outlets, universities, and Fortune 500 companies use Pressidium to host and manage their WordPress sites. Some of their well-known clients include Fujitsu, Transifex, and Cornell University.
|Pressidium Coupon: 2 months free with purchase (no coupon code needed).|
WP Engine Alternatives – Summary
No web host is perfect. Even with the problems discussed above, WP Engine is still an excellent candidate for managed WordPress hosting.
But, if you ran into one (or all) of the WPE problems above all of the web hosts I mentioned are outstanding candidates that you can easily switch to. The best part is that there is little to no downtime when the web host migrates your existing website to their services.
Here is the bottom line:
- Fly Wheel is the best option for users that need a cheaper alternative for a single WordPress site.
- Pressable is ideal for users that need an alternative that is cheaper for multiple WordPress sites.
- Pressidium is the best option for users that need advanced security features but do not mind paying a little extra.
Is there a reliable (and cheaper) WP Engine alternative that I missed?
WP Engine Alternatives – FAQS
No – WP Engine is a fairly decent web host until you run into one of the problems I mentioned.
No – the process is fairly simple. All of the web hosts above transfer your website for FREE and without any downtime.