After using HostGator for a number of our sites, we are going to share some of the best HostGator alternatives that you can switch to. This list will be constantly updated and will not include any web hosting providers that are owned and operated by Endurance International Group (EIG), which is also the company that owns HostGator.
Why You Need HostGator Alternatives?
HostGator was once a good web host, but it has quickly lost the reputation and service it once had. After the company was acquired by EIG, things fell apart and went downhill. And, that is why you are probably here searching for better alternatives to HostGator.
The constant 500 errors, unreliable customer service, poor hosting performance are just a few issues that current HostGator customers (including us) are reporting.
Here is a more detailed explanation of common HostGator issues being reported:
- People hate Endurance International Group, and the way they operate after acquiring large web hosts like HostGator. The company tends to acquire popular hosts and sacrifice the hosting performance by hosting them on the same data centers.
- Customer support is unreliable, and support tickets are no longer answered in hours, but days. Chat support is no longer instant, and phone support takes forever to get through to someone.
- The control panel and script installers are crowded with advertisements, which is annoying to say the least.
- HostGator does not offer automatic backups and restoration points (this is not the same as the cPanel integrated backup and restore tool). Automatic backups and restore points are vital for WordPress sites because WordPress is highly vulnerable to hackers and other major attacks.
- The performance of their hosting is poor, even when you install different caching plugins. Customers have reported constant 500 errors and other internal error messages.
Shared Hosting or Managed WordPress Hosting?
Shared hosting providers (e.g. HostGator) are popular because the hosting they offer is cheap, and most of the hosting features are unlimited. The downside of shared hosting is performance as hundreds, if not thousands of sites are hosted on the same server. So, when one site experiences errors and downtime, all of the sites on that particular server experience the same issues.
Managed WordPress hosting (e.g. WP Engine) is customized type of hosting that is built and optimized for WordPress sites. This type of hosting is fast. In addition, managed WordPress hosting is managed, so the provider takes care of everything (e.g. WordPress updates). The downside of managed WordPress hosting is the cost, which is more expensive than shared hosting.
In short, shared web hosting is the better option if you have a small website, limited budget, and do not have a WordPress site. Managed WordPress hosting is the better option if you have a WordPress site with higher traffic levels.
HostGator Alternatives (for Shared Hosting)
The three web hosts under this section are not owned or affiliate with Endurance International Group, and are the best alternatives to HostGator.
Price: $3.95 a month
Why Switch to SiteGround?
When you switch over to SiteGround, you are not only getting the best HostGator alternative, you are getting the best shared hosting provider, period. Your website will load and perform faster, you will get instant support, you will get affordable renewals, and you will not be owned by EIG. In addition, SiteGround is one of three web hosts that WordPress.org recommends.
- SiteGround offers strong staging functions for WordPress and Joomla.
- New customers get a free domain name when hosting is purchased.
- WordPress and Joomla are installed using their one-click installer, and each platform is updated automatically.
- The entire site is regularly backed up and stored in a safe location for future use.
- New customers receive a free transfer of an existing site that is hosted with a different provider.
Who Uses SiteGround?
SiteGround reports that it currently hosts over 500,000 sites including WP Beginners, Andrew Norcross, and Matt Cromwell.
Price: $3.49 a month
Why Switch to InMotion Hosting?
InMotion Hosting is a complete upgrade over HostGator, and when you decide to make the switch, you will get better performance, excellent customer support, and pay a reasonable price for hosting. In addition, InMotion Hosting is not part of the Endurance International Group.
InMotion Hosting Pros
- Multiple options for hosting a WordPress site.
- Simple onboarding process for new customers.
- You can install over 400 applications using their one-click installer.
- You can use their drag-and-drop editor to help you build a site.
- You get free data backups and website transfers.
- New customers get a free domain and a $250 credit for advertising.
Who Uses InMotion Hosting?
InMotion Hosting reports that their platform hosts over 450,000 sites including Operations Rescue, The Best Schools, and Christian Patriot.
Price: $7.95 a month
Why Switch to DreamHost?
Our final candidate HostGator alternative for shared web hosting is DreamHost, which happens to be one of the most experienced web hosts on the market. When you switch to DreamHost, you get an award-winning web host that is independently owned, and committed to security. And, with a guaranteed 100% uptime, you do not have to worry about your site ever performing poorly.
- On top of an already great and reliable service, you get over 20 years of hosting experience.
- 100% uptime that is guaranteed.
- DreamHost offers one simple shared hosting plan that will not limit bandwidth and the amount of visitors your site gets on a recurring basis.
- New customers get a free domain name for a year, and free domain privacy protection.
- One-click installer for WordPress, Joomla, and Zen Cart.
- A lengthy 97-day money back guarantee, which will give you more than enough time to see if their hosting suits your needs.
Who Uses DreamHost?
DreamHost hosts over 1.5 million sites including Columbia University, Carter Subaru, and Type Wolf.
HostGator Alternatives (for Managed WordPress Hosting)
The two managed WordPress hosting providers that are listed below are not owned or affiliated with Endurance International Group. If you need web hosting for WordPress only, these are the best alternatives to HostGator.
1. WP Engine
Price: $29 a month
Why Switch to WP Engine?
WP Engine is a managed WordPress hosting provider, and you will quickly find how impressive it really is. When you compare WP Engine to HostGator, you can expect your site to load ten times faster (on average) without experiencing errors and downtime. In addition, it is almost impossible for someone to hack and take control of your site. Lastly, WP Engine’s support is second to none, period.
WP Engine Pros
- Four data center locations that you can choose from including United States, United Kingdom, Belgium, and Taiwan.
- You can transfer an existing WordPress site using their free migration plugin, which does not have any downtime.
- WP Engine’s hosting is optimized for WordPress sites.
- You do not need to install any caching plugins.
- You get access to advanced developer tools, and free firewall and malware protection.
- WP Engine guarantees an uptime guarantee of 99.95%.
Who Uses WP Engine?
WP Engine reportedly hosts over 500,000 including government and Fortune 50 companies such as National Geographic, PBS International, and Yelp.
2. Fly Wheel
Price: $15 a month
Why Switch to Fly Wheel?
Fly Wheel is a managed WordPress hosting provider that is built for designers and agencies. Next to WP Engine, Fly Wheel is popular because it offers features such as blueprints, staging, site cloning, and collaboration, while a lot of other hosts do not. In addition, Fly Wheel does extremely well in speed tests, even when matched up against some of the largest and most popular hosting providers.
Fly Wheel Pros
- You can manage all of your Fly Wheel hosted sites from one dashboard that is easy to navigate.
- Every hosted site gets a unique dedicated IP address.
- You have the option to clone (copy) an existing site, and recreate it as a new site.
- Seven data center locations that you can choose from including two in the United States (New York City and California), United Kingdom, France, Germany, and Canada.
- You can install and use any WordPress plugins.
Who Uses Fly Wheel?
As mentioned above, Fly Wheel is commonly used by designers, freelancers, and agencies. Fly Wheel reports that they host over 70,000 sites including Streamlined Studio, Hive Digital, and Social Assurance.
Wait, What About Bluehost?
Bluehost is a top web hosting provider on multiple “top ten” lists all over the internet. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, we are not going to list Bluehost as one of the HostGator alternatives because they are owned and operated by the same company, which is EIG. The performance, customer support, and just about everything else is identical.
In the past, we did recommend Bluehost, but that was when Bluehost and HostGator were completely separate hosting providers that competed for market share.
Final Say on HostGator Alternatives
Whether you switch to one of the shared hosting or managed WordPress hosting alternatives, you will be glad that you did. HostGator gets worse every day, and it does not look like this will change anytime soon.
Here is a quick overview of the things we discussed in this article:
- Use a shared hosting provider if you do not have a WordPress site or use managed WordPress hosting if you have a WordPress site and a flexible budget.
- SiteGround is the number one rated shared hosting provider, and it is the best alternative to HostGator.
- WP Engine is the best managed WordPress hosting provider, period. It is the best HostGator alternative for those that have a WordPress site with higher traffic levels.
- Bluehost is no longer a HostGator alternative because it is owned by the same company, Endurance International Group.
We hope that after reading this article, you are able to end your relationship with HostGator, and start a partnership with a better web host.