GoDaddy is a good choice for starter websites that do not have a lot of content and traffic. And we will be the first to admit, Ecommerce Sprout was once a big fan of GoDaddy. After using GoDaddy to host this site from 2009 to 2016, we feel that the company no longer offers quality web hosting that we can recommend. In this article, we have compiled a list of the best GoDaddy alternatives for web hosting and domain registrations to help you make the switch.
Why You May Need a GoDaddy Alternative?
From excessive downtime to unethical practices, GoDaddy is simply the web host that you want to stay away from. We can write a long and completely separate article on why you should stay away from GoDaddy.
And in case you still believe GoDaddy is a good web host, take a look at these statistics:
Commenters on Consumer Affairs (a major complaints and reviews website), gave GoDaddy an overall satisfaction rating of 1.1 (out of five stars). As of right now, 149 users gave GoDaddy a one star rating, and a single user gave them a five star rating.
The most common problems with GoDaddy include:
- Excessive server downtime that is getting worse every day (404 errors, outages, etc.).
- A large number of sites are hosted on the same servers, which impacts the performance of your site.
- While initial startup costs are cheap, the cost of renewing your services (hosting and domains) is approximately 200% to 400% more expensive.
- Poor customer service that is almost non-existent.
- The company does not seem to care about fixing any of the issues that customers are experiencing, which is by far the worst problem of hosting with GoDaddy.
If you can eliminate one or all of the issues above by switching to one of the GoDaddy alternatives mentioned below, you would be insane not to pull the plug and call it quits.
GoDaddy Alternatives for Shared Hosting
Cheapest Price: $3.95 a month (60% off for Ecommerce Sprout visitors)
Why Switch to SiteGround?
SiteGround is a hosting provider that is recommended by WordPress.org. Out of 786 independent reviews, the hosting service received a rating of 4.98 out of 5.00. When compared to GoDaddy, SiteGround offers better performance – your site will load in under 1.7 seconds without the use of cache, and under 1.3 seconds with cache. In addition, SiteGround offers reasonable renewal fees on their entire product line.
- Strong staging functionality for WordPress and Joomla.
- User-friendly cPanel interface with SSH access.
- You get a free domain name with your hosting purchase.
- Your site is automatically backed up and stored in a safe location.
- You can install WordPress and Joomla with a single click, and both applications are automatically updated as new versions are released.
- The 30 day money back guarantee protects your purchase if you are not completely satisfied.
- Windows hosting is not available.
- You will need to upgrade to the Grow Big plan (costs $5.95 a month) to host multiple sites under the same hosting account.
- All of the plans have a specific quota on the amount of traffic you can receive each month.
Who Uses SiteGround?
SiteGround hosts 500,000+ sites and some of the well-known brands such as WP Beginner, Matt Cromwell, and Andrew Norcross.
Visit SiteGround » (includes 60% off discount)
Cheapest Price: $3.49 a month (56% off for Ecommerce Sprout visitors)
Why Switch to InMotion Hosting?
Much like SiteGround, InMotion Hosting is a complete upgrade over GoDaddy. A lot of sites are transferring to InMotion Hosting because of their improved performance, simple onboarding process, reasonable renewal fees, and unmatched customer service. In other words, InMotion Hosting is in a completely different league. In addition, they maintained a perfect hosting rating from CNET (one of the largest product review and tech news sites on the internet) so you can rest easy.
InMotion Hosting Pros
- You get a basic website builder, drag and drop editor, and website templates when you buy hosting.
- InMotion Hosting integrates well with external applications such as WordPress, Joomla, Bold Grid, and Magento.
- You get a free domain name when you buy hosting.
- InMotion Hosting will give you a $250 advertising credit for Google, Bing, Yahoo, and Yellow Pages.
- You can choose a data center location on the East or West coast.
- The 90 day money back guarantee protects your purchase if you are not satisfied with the hosting service.
InMotion Hosting Cons
- After you sign up, you have to complete a manual verification process through the phone to fully activate your hosting account (this reduces spam and fake users on their servers).
- The Launch plan (costs $3.49 a month) allows you to host two sites under the same account.
- The Launch plan is not suitable and ready for ecommerce.
Who Uses InMotion Hosting?
InMotion Hosting hosts 450,000+ sites including The Best Schools, Operations Rescue, and Christian Patriot.
Visit InMotion Hosting » (56% off discount applied for Ecommerce Sprout visitors)
GoDaddy Alternatives for Managed Hosting
Managed WordPress hosting is engineered and optimized for WordPress websites. If you have a WordPress website and need enhanced performance, this is the best type of hosting.
Major advantages of managed WordPress hosting include increased site performance, enhanced security, and expert WordPress support.
Here is our list of the GoDaddy alternatives for managed WordPress hosting:
1. WP Engine
Cheapest Price: $29 a month (use coupon code wpe20off for 20% off)
Why Switch to WP Engine?
WP Engine offers fast hosting servers with their built in caching technology, and secure and malware protected hosting platform. It is a highly scalable hosting service for WordPress sites. And their expert WordPress support is second to none. Bottom line is if you need optimized hosting for your WordPress site, then WP Engine is something you need to consider switching to right now.
WP Engine Pros
- You get the option to choose the data center for your account to maximize the performance of your site – available locations are United States, United Kingdom, and Japan.
- WP Engine employs and pays a third party security firm to take care all of the data centers, which means that the hosting servers are secure and monitored 24/7.
- You can work on a project to completion and then simply “push” or transfer the install to your client.
- You do not need to install any external caching and other performance boosting plugins.
- You get a staging area where you can test plugins and make site changes before publishing them to your site.
- WP Engine offers an automated site migration plugin that you can use to transfer your current site free of charge.
WP Engine Cons
- WP Engine is a managed WordPress hosting service, so you will not be able to use it for Joomla, Drupal, Magento, or any other external application.
- If you exceed your monthly quota for visitors, you will be charged extra fees ($1 for every 1,000 visitors over the limit).
- WP Engine prohibits the use of some plugins.
Who Uses WP Engine?
WP Engine is trusted by 60,000+ companies and small-time bloggers including Yelp, National Geographic, and Reader’s Digest.
Visit WP Engine » (use coupon code wpe20off for 20% off)
2. Fly Wheel
Cheapest Price: $15 a month
Why Switch to Fly Wheel?
Fly Wheel is a delightful WordPress platform that is recommended by WordPress.org. The managed hosting service offers everything you need to run and manage a WordPress site without sacrificing any performance. A huge benefit of switching to Fly Wheel is sites generally load in under one second, which is a big boost for search engine optimization (SEO). The best part about switching to Fly Wheel is the fact that they offer reasonable cost for managed hosting.
Fly Wheel Pros
- You can manage all of your sites from one attractive dashboard.
- You can clone an existing site and recreate it as a new site.
- Fly Wheel automatically backs up all of your files and stores them at a secure location.
- Every site gets its own dedicated IP address.
- You have the option to choose the data center location for your site.
- You can use the user-friendly staging area to test site changes and install updates before adding them to your site.
- You can use and install whichever plugin that you want.
Fly Wheel Cons
- Fly Wheel is for WordPress sites and does not work with any other applications.
- If you go over your monthly quota for traffic, you will be charged extra fees or asked to upgrade to a larger plan.
- Fly Wheel is not as popular as some of the other managed hosting services.
Who Uses Fly Wheel?
Fly Wheel hosts everything from starter WordPress sites to large Fortune 500 companies. Fly Wheel hosts 50,000+ WordPress sites including Streamlined Studio, Social Assurance, and Hive Digital.
Visit Fly Wheel » (get one month free with annual purchase)
GoDaddy Alternatives for Domains
When it comes to domain names, GoDaddy offers constant deals and promotions where you will be able to buy a domain name for a couple bucks a year. If you decide to buy your domain name from GoDaddy, it is the best to pay two to three years in advance to get a good deal. In addition, you will avoid paying their high renewal fees.
However, if you want to dump GoDaddy altogether or need a domain registrar that offers more features, here are the best GoDaddy registrar alternatives:
NameCheap is our favorite place that we use to buy our domain names because of their intuitive interface and simple domain management options. The initial cost to buy a domain name will cost you a few bucks a year. The only difference is that NameCheap is much cheaper when it comes time to renew the domains. All domain name registrations offer a one year subscription to WhoisGuard private privacy protection.
Final Verdict on GoDaddy Alternatives
Switching to a new hosting service is not something everyone is interested in doing. We also understand that there are still a lot of GoDaddy supporters out there, and that is totally fine. The constant downtime and poor site performance was why we ended our relationship with GoDaddy for good.
As much as we hate GoDaddy, we feel that they have the potential and resources to turn things around and improve their services to keep up with their competition. Unfortunately, this is not the direction that they are interested in going at this time. Until they decide to make necessary changes, Ecommerce Sprout will never recommend GoDaddy.
If you are completely dissatisfied with GoDaddy’s services and need to make the switch as soon as possible, any of the alternatives mentioned above are excellent places to switch to.
Here is what our experts say:
- Go with SiteGround or InMotion Hosting if you need a reliable shared web hosting provider at an affordable price.
- If you feel that you have outgrown your shared hosting account or need enhanced performance for your WordPress website, go with WP Engine (use the coupon wpe20off to get 20% off at checkout) or Fly Wheel.
- If you need to register a new domain name or transfer an existing one, go with NameCheap.
Is there a reliable GoDaddy alternative that we missed? Let us know in the comments section below.