BigCommerce is only one ecommerce platform that you can use to build an online store and set up an ecommerce store. There are a wide range of similar platforms out there, each with their own set of pros and cons.
Whether you prefer working with an online store builder that is easier to use (e.g. Shopify) or no longer are a fan of BigCommerce, the following is a list of the best BigCommerce alternatives that you can switch to.
The pricing options for BigCommerce range from $29.95 a month to $249.95 a month, and there is a restriction on the amount of sales that you can make, which varies by plan.
Drawbacks of Using BigCommerce
While BigCommerce has a fair share of advantages and excellent reviews, it also has some potential problems that you may run into. The following are the most common drawbacks of using BigCommerce for ecommerce:
- Each plan has a restriction on the number of sales (calculated on a trailing 12-month basis) that you can have per year (e.g. $50,000 for the Standard plan, $150,000 for the Plus plan, and $400,000 for the Pro plan).
- Recurring billing, which you can use to sell subscription products, is not integrated into the platform, and you need to install a third party app to use it.
- BigCommerce has too much functionality, which can cause complications for users, especially those using an online store builder for the first time.
- The platform has a poor selection of modern themes.
BigCommerce Alternatives and Competitors
The following is a list of the three best alternatives to BigCommerce for your consideration.
Shopify is an elite online store builder that needs no introduction. The platform hosts well over 500,000 online stores, and has helped store owners process over $40 billion in sales (that is an average of $80,000 in sales per store).
Here is a list of potential benefits you can have with this excellent alternative to BigCommerce:
- A large app store for adding additional functionality to your online store (nearly double the size of the BigCommerce app store).
- There are independent professional theme designers that create some of the Shopify themes, so there is a larger selection of modern themes.
- Shopify does not impose a limitation on the amount of sales that you can have.
- A clean and user-friendly process of completing the entire store setup, from start to finish.
- You can sign up for the Facebook only store and sell on Facebook for budget-friendly $9 a month.
The drawbacks of switching to Shopify:
The biggest drawback of switching from BigCommerce to Shopify is transaction fees, which can be as high as 2% and varies by plan. These transaction fees can be waived by using their in-house credit card processing service (Stripe).
Shopify uses Liquid as their template markup language whereas customizations on BigCommerce are done using traditional HTML and CSS, which are more common and easier to work with.
With Shopify, you will also find yourself visiting the app store on a regular basis if you need advanced ecommerce features (e.g. product reviews, customer wish lists, and product recommendations). To add these extra features, you have to pay extra to enable them.
Lastly, Shopify has only a handful of payment gateways that you can use. You will have to visit the app store to add more payment options to the store.
Who uses Shopify?
Well over 500,000 businesses, including Tattly, BIKO Jewerly, and Mindzai Toys, use Shopify to carry out their ecommerce needs.
Cost: $29 a month (or $9 a month for a Facebook store only)
Much like BigCommerce, 3dcart is a feature packed online store builder that offers unlimited products and bandwidth with every plan. The platform, which hosts only 15,000 online stores, is not as popular as some of the leading online store builders.
Here is a list of potential benefits you can have with our second BigCommerce alternative:
- No cap on the amount of sales that you can process on your online store.
- 3dcart has over 20 years of ecommerce experience.
- A strong point of sale system that you can use to combine your online store and your physical store into a single business and manage both from one centralized location.
- The platform has built-in recurring billing and auto-responders.
- 3dcart can transfer your existing online store to their platform for free.
The drawbacks of switching to 3dcart:
Not everything about 3dcart is appealing, and you should consider the drawbacks of switching from BigCommerce to 3dcart before you make the big move. 3dcart is not as popular as BigCommerce or any of the other leading online store builders, which may be a red flag to some users.
When compared to BigCommerce, 3dcart has an interface that is less appealing and clunky at times.
3dcart has a small selection of apps that you can install onto your store, but this is partly due to their extensive feature lineup. Lastly, you will have a set number of staff accounts that you can create with each plan whereas BigCommerce offers unlimited staff accounts.
Who uses 3dcart?
More than 17,000 businesses, including Morgan Sports, Lukie Games, and Stockade, use 3dcart for their ecommerce needs.
Cost: $29 a month
Ecwid is a versatile online store builder which gives you the tools to add ecommerce functions to just about any platform. The platform hosts over one million stores in 175 countries.
Here is a list of potential benefits you can have with this our final alternative to BigCommerce:
- You can add ecommerce functionality to WordPress, Facebook, Weebly, and an existing website for free.
- The platform supports 50 languages that are automatically detected and adjusted for your customers.
- You can mirror / copy an existing Ecwid store and add it to a different website.
- Ecwid can integrate well with most Point of Sale (POS) systems.
- Due to the large number of sellers that use Ecwid, you are going to be able find support on their forums and from other users on the internet.
The drawbacks of switching to Ecwid:
Because Ecwid offers a free plan, there are not many drawbacks that you are going to care about. For starters, the free plan does not offer any internal / in-house technical support, but you have access to the internet and forums.
Even with its popularity, Ecwid lacks a large app selection, which may be a problem if you find yourself needing additional functionality later on.
Lastly, there is no option of editing / changing default product URL’s. This is a problem from a SEO perspective as you will not be able to control your product URL’s.
Who uses Ecwid?
According to Ecwid, over one million sellers such as 28 Black, Valkee, and and Bikini Love use their platform to sell products online.
Cost: Free (premium plans also available)
If you no longer find BigCommerce appealing, the BigCommerce alternatives such as Shopify, 3dcart, and Ecwid are well-known names that are worth looking into, and possibly switching over to.
You can try all of the online store builders for free, which will give you the opportunity to compare them on your own.
If you want to read about even more ecommerce options, check out Ecommerce Sprout’s list of the best ecommerce platforms in 2021.