When it comes to managed WordPress hosting, WP Engine comes highly recommended by bloggers, developers, and current WP Engine customers. While WPE definitely receives a fair share of rave reviews, there may be a reason for which you wish to explore WP Engine alternatives to host your WordPress site.
If you are in the initial research phase and have not actually used WP Engine yet, we recommend that you try them first (use coupon code wpe20off to get 20% off your purchase).
If you have already used WP Engine and you know that their hosting is not a good fit for your website, we will list four WP Engine alternatives and competitors that you can easily transfer to.
Why You May Need a WP Engine Alternative?
WP Engine is an excellent managed hosting provider for WordPress sites, and one of the best alternatives to standard shared hosting.
That being said, here are the common problems that may lead to you looking for WP Engine alternatives right now or in the near future:
- Their hosting packages are expensive as you upgrade to plans with more resources. For instance, the cheapest plan starts at $29 a month, then goes to $99 a month, and then to $249 a month. The plans just about triple, which becomes expensive if you find yourself needing to upgrade.
- You can only host a single WordPress install on the $29 a month plan. This is an issue if you have multiple WordPress sites and want to host them together.
- Content Delivery Network (CDN) costs an additional $19.95 a month with the $29 a month plan.
- Some plugins and themes are not allowed and you will not be able to install them.
Cheaper WP Engine Alternatives
1. Fly Wheel
- Cheapest Plan: $15 a month with 5,000 visitors, 250 GB of bandwidth, and 5 GB of storage space.
The staff here at Ecommerce Sprout adores Fly Wheel hosting because it offers everything needed to host a WordPress site without sacrificing performance. A standard WordPress site loads in under one second on average.
Some particularly nifty features include staging sites, easy collaboration, and billing transfers to your clients.
The best part about hosting with Fly Wheel is that they are cheaper than WP Engine. The pay-per-site plans start at $15 a month. After that, there are bulk plans for multiple WordPress installs that start at $100 a month.
Fly Wheel Pros
- Endorsed and recommended by WordPress.org.
- Fly Wheel handles the entire process of transferring your existing site.
- You can manage all of your sites from one attractive dashboard.
- You can clone/copy an existing live site and recreate it as a new site.
- There is a user-friendly staging area where you can test site changes and install updates before installing them onto your site.
- Every site gets a dedicated IP address.
- You have the option to choose the location of the hosting server for your site.
- Fly Wheel automatically backs up all of your files and stores them at a secure location.
- Free email accounts and malware protection.
- You can use whichever plugins that you want.
Fly Wheel Cons
- Not as popular and does not host some of the big names like WP Engine.
- Hosting is for WordPress site only.
- Going over the allotted traffic in any given month will result in extra fees (or you can upgrade to a larger plan).
Who Uses Fly Wheel?
Fly Wheel hosts everything from small WordPress sites to Fortune 500 companies. As of right now, 50,000+ sites are hosted by Fly Wheel including Streamlined Studio, Social Assurance, and Hive Digital.
Visit Fly Wheel » (get one month free with annual purchase)
- Cheapest Plan: $24.90 a month for one WordPress site with 10,000 visits, unlimited bandwidth, and 5 GB of storage space.
If Fly Wheel does not work for you, Pressidium is the next WP Engine alternative that you need to try. The company is a fairly new managed hosting service, but it has quickly built a reputation because of their great service and hosting performance. The web host uses a custom Pinnacle Platform that provides you with enterprise architecture on every hosting plan.
All plans include free website migration, billing transfers, and instant and offsite backups.
Plans start at $24.90 a month for a single WordPress site and scale up to $599 a month for 50 up to sites.
- A clean and simple admin dashboard where you can easily customize the administration process and tools to suit the needs of your WordPress site.
- You can protect your site from all known bad crawlers that use up your bandwidth and slow down your site with Pressidium’s bad-bot filtering tool.
- You can transfer your entire website to Pressidium free of charge.
- One-click staging deployments, clone functionality, and billing transfers.
- Pressidium is built around the Pinnacle Platform that is also used by Google and Facebook.
- Your site is automatically backed up and stored offsite, where you can easily initiate a one-click backup process.
- You can create SFTP sub-accounts at no extra cost.
- Expert WordPress support that can help you with site issues, as well as recommend plugins that you need.
- Pressidium does not offer any email accounts.
- The only forms of payment accepted are Visa and MasterCard credit and debit cards.
- Content Delivery Network (CDN) costs an extra $10 a month on the $24.90 a month plan, and it is free for all other plans.
- Every plan has a specific allotted limit on the amount of traffic you can get each month, ranging from 10,000 to one million visits.
Who Uses Pressidium?
Hundreds of media outlets, universities, and Fortune 500 companies use Pressidium to host and manage their WordPress sites. Their clients include Fujitsu, Transifex, and Cornell University.
Visit Pressidium » (use coupon code 4offer17 to get 20% off)
- Cheapest Plan: $25 a month for up to five WordPress sites and 60,000 visitors (combined total for all sites). Bandwidth and storage space is unmetered.
Pressable is a unique managed hosting service, and advertises itself as “rated #1 in customer satisfaction.” The partnership with Google PageSpeed is able to deliver blazing site speed, which has brought them an appealing list of clients and rave testimonials.
All plans include Content Delivery Network (CDN) at no extra cost, free SSL Certificate by Let’s Encrypt, collaborator access, and managed upgrades.
Plans start at $25 a month for up to five sites and scales up to $750 a month for 100+ sites.
- You get unmetered bandwidth and storage space with all plans.
- WordPress and all installed plugins are updated automatically as soon as a new version is released.
- You get Content Delivery Network (CDN) with all plans for free.
- Pressable automatically backs up your site every night and restore it at no extra cost.
- You can give access to a developer to help you work on your site and then later revoke using the collaborator access tool.
- The staging feature lets you test various themes and design layouts before applying the changes to your WordPress site.
- Caching is done automatically for you, so there is no need to install third party caching plugins.
- The plans are consistently priced as you upgrade to larger plans.
- You get a 15 day free trial to try Pressable before having to pay anything.
- You will be charge extra for going over your monthly visitor’s quota (or you can upgrade to a larger plan).
- Pressable is a managed WordPress hosting service, so it only works for WordPress sites.
- The admin interface is not attractive at all.
Who Uses Pressable?
Anyone that has a WordPress site can use Pressable to improve performance and site management. Startups and Fortune 1,000 companies such as Whirlpool, Estee Lauder, and The American Genius rely on Pressable for hosting.
Visit Pressable » (Ecommerce Sprout visitors get two months free)
Final Verdict on WP Engine Alternatives
Whether you need a WP Engine alternative because they are expensive or you ran into one of the WPE problems, the managed hosting providers listed above are excellent candidates and definitely worth considering for your WordPress hosting needs.
The Ecommerce Sprout staff recommends the following:
- Go with Fly Wheel if you need a cheaper managed hosting solution for a single WordPress site.
- Go with Pressidium if you do not find Fly Wheel appealing for your WordPress site and do not mind paying a few extra bucks a month.
- Go with Pressable if you need an alternative with multiple WordPress sites at a more reasonable price.
Is there a reliable WP Engine alternative that we missed? Let us know in the comments section below.